The corner stone for this building was laid on August 10, 1881 and the doors opened on February 4, 1882. The architect was Addison Hutton and the building firm was Balderston & Hutton of Philadelphia.
The Opera house quickly became a stop on the old Vaudeville circuit and in 1927 the building was converted into a classic movie theater, serving that purpose until 1959 when the theater closed. After a short time as a warehouse, the MCHS purchased the building in 1973 and by the time of the building’s 100th birthday it was once again serving the public as an entertainment center. Today the Opera House hosts all types of programs in its acoustically superior hall. Besides ongoing improvements to the interior, 2011 saw the first full exterior paint job on the building since 1927. (by Jack Sterling, 2011)